What does collagen do to your skin? Here everything you need To know about what Is it ,why you should use this & how to choose the best collagen face mask which really work.
I want to be forever young! Wrinkle free and full of FUN!
The desire to remain forever young is a universal one. How do we reverse or delay the effects of aging? Is there a natural way to reduce fine lines and wrinkles?
Can we keep our skin looking radiant and smooth for longer?
Yes, we can!
While we may not have discovered the fountain of youth yet, we have come a long way in recognizing the benefits of healthy eating and staying hydrated. Top this with access to scientific information on how our bodies actually work and what we need to boost longevity and we are well away in our efforts to grow old gracefully.
Collagen masks are external or topical applications, known for smoothing out fine lines and nourishing the skin from the outside.
But what is collagen?
How is it made and what can it really do for our health, both inside and out? And more importantly, what constitutes an effective and beneficial collagen face mask?
What is Collagen? What Role Does it Play
Collagen is a network of protein fibers, manufactured by the body with the help of vitamin C. Vitamin C is crucial to the body for fighting infection and boosting immunity but it is also essential in the manufacturing of the two most important connective tissues in the body, namely collagen and elastin.
Collagen forms the structural foundation for other tissues in the body like cartilage, bone, tendons and muscles. Both collagen and elastin are used to repair and maintain all the veins and capillaries in the body.
If capillary walls and other veins lose strength and flexibility the result is
- Bruising and “spider veins”
- Skin starts to lose elasticity and smooth skin takes on a dry or wrinkled appearance.
- Sagging under the eyes cause a puffy look and even dark rings can appear.
This is because connective tissue (collagen) becomes damaged, through oxidation caused by free radicals) and the veins which carry blood, filled with vital nutrients and oxygen, cannot supply optimal amounts of antioxidants and bioflavanoids to where they are needed.
The antioxidant effects of Vitamin C, found in the bioflavonoids, neutralize free radicals and prevent oxidation, collagen is manufactured efficiently and the result is a more radiant looking skin.
Other nutrients that boost skin health include Vitamin E and Vitamin A.
Vitamin A, C and E are all high in antioxidants and can be found as topical face creams which will nourish your skin from the outside. And now we come to collagen masks and what they are exactly.
do collagen masks work?
The beauty industry has been selling collagen face masks containing hydrolyzed collagen, derived from bovine or marine sources. But there is little scientific evidence to back up the efficacy of topical collagen supplementation.
Dr Eva Hurst, an Associate Professor of Dermatology, had this to say: “The collagen molecule is too big to penetrate the outer layer of skin, even broken down collagen molecules, called hydrolyzed collagen, have no scientific evidence behind them. The only benefit of a collagen-rich cream is that it might give you a little bit more of a glow because it’s a good moisturizer.”
Using a collagen mask that contains actual collagen or hydrolyzed collagen is a marketing scam. Not only is it unsuitable for vegans but it is a product that may actually increase the appearance of aging after prolonged use.
Benefits of Using External Collagen Face Masks
Hydrating the skin has a threefold effect.
Skin cells are moisturized and swell up this “tightens” skin and smoothes out fine lines.
Nutrients are absorbed through osmosis once moisture levels are replenished, penetrating the dermis and “feeding” collagen.
The end result is a revitalized complexion that glows.
Nourishing skin with vitamins and minerals help the body to repair and produce new collagen tissues. This gives skin a renewed flexibility and elasticity, changing the appearance of your skin from dry and dull to smooth and glowing. The nourishing ingredients will replenish tired looking skin and rejuvenate the cells below the epidermis.
The Many Reasons Why Collagen Masks Are Awesome
A collagen face mask is any mask with ingredients that can be absorbed by the skin and then utilized by the body to produce collagen. So with a bit of research you can find great “collagen free” collagen masks.
Because collagen is produced by the body, when it is supplied with enough Vitamin C, it makes sense that you would want to feed your skin the same from the outside and allow the skin to absorb it. Vitamin A, C and E creams and masques are widely available and are also known as collagen masks.
Essentially, for the best results, you want a high quality Vitamin C serum or face mask. It is even possible to make your own. It is very beneficial to feed your body foods naturally high in collagen forming nutrients.
How to Use Collagen Face Masks
Masks can be applied in a variety of ways:
1. You can get sheets which you just place strategically on your face and allow the active ingredients to seep into your pores and deep into the underlying layers of epidermal tissues, feeding the connective tissues and returning the elasticity of collagen and elastin.
2. Some masks are lovely creamy solutions that you can lather on and lie back while the ingredients get a chance to soak in. The cream forms a barrier between skin and air, allowing for optimal absorption. The mask is rinsed off after 10 minutes or more. May not suit very oily skin.
3. Other masks are more oily in nature, like the serums. These are applied less liberally and for best results, applied after cleansing, left on overnight to penetrate the skin and get properly absorbed. The following morning you follow your usual cleansing routine.
Which is the Best Collagen Face Mask I Should use?
A good mask will contain ingredients
- That allow vital nutrients to penetrate the dermis,
- Seal the skin from air to allow time for ingredients to penetrate
- Are not harmful to the environment (and your skin!) and ideally have not been tested on animals (cruelty-free)
- With antioxidant properties, to neutralize free radicals and repair connective tissues, damaged by oxidation, allowing collagen production to occur naturally and revitalizing tired, dry skin.
Eve Hansen Collagen Boosting Sheet Masks are my absolute top recommendation.
Easy to use: First cleanse, tone and apply any serums, as you would normally do. Then apply mask and moisturize.
- Just unfold the sheet,
- Place strategically over face and press down in all the areas until it is on firmly.
- Leave on for about 15 minutes.
- Remove and gently massage the remaining serum into your skin.
- No need to rinse
Eve Hansen Collagen Boosting Sheet Masks contain collagen boosting ingredients like citrus, spinach and blueberries. Regular use with these sheets will:
- Hydrate and repair damaged skin
- Renew skin cells, for a smoother complexion
- Minimize the appearance of large pores
- Restore and revive tired skin, leaving a radiant glow
If you were looking for an effective collagen boosting mask and weren’t sure about what to choose, I hope this info has shed some light on the facts about collagen and collagen masks.
If we care for our planet, our planet will care for us.
Image Credit: Instagram/evehansenbeauty