If you want to know what goes into making the Best Tasting Protein Powder, and what you should and shouldn’t look for when choosing the best protein powder, everything from vegan brands to the best tasting whey protein, then you want to read this article.
These days protein powders get used as “whey” more than meal replacements just to lose weight. Hectic lifestyles often result in missed meals and an unbalanced diet. Protein powders can fill up the gaps in your diet and ensure you get enough protein. This review is all about the best tasting protein powders.
ARE YOU SURE YOU DON'T LIKE the Taste Of Protein Powders?
In the past, it was difficult to find protein powders that didn’t taste revolting and weren’t loaded with artificial fillers, additives, emulsifiers, anti-caking agents, artificial sweeteners, and flavorants. And getting them to mix into a lump-free, smooth consistency was a mission and a half.
Fortunately, manufacturers of protein powders heeded these complaints, and today you can choose a protein powder that not only tastes delicious, even when mixed with only water but also blends with ease, has a smooth consistency and gets made from healthier alternatives than past products.
The popularity of protein powders over recent years has resulted in formulations that mix well and taste exceptional.
The market has become saturated with choice. I have tried to simplify the process for you by reviewing 9 best Protein Powders That Actually Taste Good.
Protein powder can be taken hot in coffee, or cold with water, milk or milk substitutes like almond milk and soy milk.
Protein powder is an easy way to take in adequate amounts of protein or to amp up your protein intake if you are training or want to increase muscle mass.
It can also be used as part of a weight management program. And these days with so many people who are diabetics and/or gluten intolerant, sugar-free, wheat free protein powders are essential in supplementing the diets of people with special dietary requirements.
A good quality protein powder formulation will have high quality, easy to digest protein powder with a high biological value (BV). It will mix well and taste great, no need to compromise on quality over taste or vice versa.
Let’s dive in, shall we?
Best Tasting Protein Powders to Buy in 2018
Don't have time to read the complete review? Then check out this table for a quick pick...
Legion Whey+Whey Isolate Protein Powder: Best for Weight Loss
The reason Legion Whey+ rates among the top protein powders, besides the great taste, is because they use whey from cows that are 100% grass fed. Grass-fed cows are healthier because they are raised on their natural diet, of grass.
Unlike grain fed cows, grass-fed cows have better gut health. Therefore they require less treatment with antibiotics and therefore deliver high-quality milk.
Once the whey has been processed, you get left with a protein that is easy to digest, gets absorbed fast and is high in leucine (essential for protein synthesis).
What’s in it?
- It is 100% Whey protein isolate. This means it contains 90% protein, 10% carbs and is safe for lactose intolerant people to take. Whey protein concentrate, however, is higher in carbs and would be considered unsafe for people who are lactose intolerant. (Always check with your doctor first)
- It is naturally flavored with red beet juice, xanthum gum, salt and stevia and tapioca starch.
- Contains maltodextrin (non-GMO)
Flavors: It comes in 6 flavors; chocolate, chocolate peanut butter, vanilla, unflavored, strawberry and banana, cookies and cream.
Sizes: It comes in 1.83lb (828g) containers, so you get 30 servings. 5lb containers are also available.
Protein: Legion Whey+ contains 22g of protein per serving.
Taste and Mixability: Great taste and mixes well, even by mixing with a fork. No whizzing needed. No bitter aftertaste.
Contains maltodextrin, so strictly speaking, should not tote itself as being sugar-free. Maltodextrin is a thickener and filler. But it is still low in carbs. On the plus side, if the amount used is negligible, it improves mixability and has less than 20% sugar content compared to corn syrup solids.
This should not be a problem for athletes and people on the go. It does increase the GI level of the product slightly, so diabetics would need to be careful.
Natural Force Organic Whey Protein Powder: Best for Pregnant and Lactating Women
Our Rating: 4.8/5
User Rating: 4.3/5
Highlights of Natural Force Organic Whey
- Minimally processed, organic way. Certified Organic USDA
- Whey, sourced from family-owned dairy farms in North Carolina, with grass-fed, free-range cows that are not exposed to growth hormones and antibiotics.
- Non-GMO verified
- B- Corp certified
- Product of USA
- Certified Kosher and Certified Paleo friendly
- Gluten Free
- Ranked #1 Best Tasting Protein Powder
- 30 day, money back guarantee
The Natural Force Brand prides itself on being an ethically sound corporation. It’s handcrafted, and they use the highest quality, natural, organic ingredients. Because of this, their whey protein powder delivers almost the entire protein package in 1 serving.
Whey has a BV of over 100% so because they only have 4 ingredients or less, you get a powder that is almost 100% protein per serving.
On their containers, you will find a guide showing the difference between a protein powder from organic whey compared to non-organic.
Great for muscle recovery, staying lean and making shakes. Use in baking and to make pancakes.
What’s in it?
Only 3 ingredients!
- Organic Whey
- Vanilla flavors
- Stevia Leaf Powder
Flavors: 3 flavors: Cacao Bean, Coffee Bean, and Vanilla Bean
Size: 14.1 oz is equivalent to 15 servings. Each serving is just over 26g.
Protein: 20g of undenatured (raw) protein, Calcium 8% DV.
Taste and Mixability: Very wholesome, natural vanilla taste. Mixes well with milk, take a little bit more effort with water and tastes best with almond milk or dairy milk, in my opinion.
- Allergens; Milk
- Although the product is essentially gluten free, it gets manufactured in a factory with soy, milk, wheat, egg and tree nuts. So people with celiac disease would have to show caution.
BSN SYNTHA-6 Whey Protein Powder – Best for Athletes
Our Rating: 4.5/5
User Rating: 4.2/5
Highlights of BSN Syntha Protein Shakes
- High quality “protein matrix.” These guys have gone totally overboard on the protein blend, making it unique.
- Great for muscle growth and recovery.
- They use cutting-edge technology to create this formula that will enhance performance in serious athletes and fitness enthusiasts alike.
- Contains lecithin for improved mixability, they are in the process of creating a protein shake with sunflower lecithin for people who can’t take soy.
BSN is a brand of bio-engineered sports products. It’s explicitly aimed at athletes who want to improve strength, lean muscle mass and performance. So having said that, you will know this product has a long list of ingredients. BSN call their product
But it is a highly recommended product with users and is a product that really works. With this product range, they have worked on enhancing the flavor and texture, and they have succeeded.
What’s in it?
Protein matrix which consists of Whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, calcium caseinate, micellar casein, milk protein isolate, egg albumen and glutamine peptides. That’s a powerhouse of proteins!
Contains MCT’s, BCAA’s and EFA’s, Sunflower creamer – which has an ingredients list of its own).Cocoa and other natural and artificial flavors, Polydextrose, MCT powder (list of what is in it), Lecithin ,Salt, Cellulose Gum, Acesulfame potassium, Sucralose, Papain, Bromelain
Flavors: Ten flavors to choose from with excellent flavors like Black Cherry Tart, Chocolate Cake Batter and (my fave) Cinnamon Bun.
Size: 2.91lb (1.32kg) 28 servings per container
Protein/Nutrient Profile: 22g per serving, 5g fiber, 10g essential amino acids and fair percentages of calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus and potassium.
Taste and mixability: Rich, creamy taste, and smooth texture, even when just mixed with water.
- Contains egg protein, so not suitable for vegans
- Contains a fair amount of sugars, although when training hard these sugars will be burnt off fast. It is not promoted as a weight loss product but rather as a training supplement.
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder: Best Flavor Options for muscle recovery
This is another reputable, well-known brand, aimed at the bodybuilding fraternity, and sorority. We can’t forget the sisters!
They have formulated protein powders that will boost, enhance, build, recover and repair muscles. They have a huge range of flavors and sizes, but the best by far is double rich chocolate for taste and texture.
It tastes like the thickest choc milkshake ever. So not only does it taste good but it “feels” great when you drink it – if you know what I mean.
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey has a fairly simple ingredients list, which is encouraging, especially as some sports-based protein shakes are laden with “extras.”
What’s in it?
Whey protein isolate, Whey protein concentrate, Whey peptides, Cocoa (pressed with Alkali), Lecithin, Natural and artificial flavors, Acesulfame potassium, Lactase
Flavors: Wow! 19 flavors to choose from with loads of chocolate variations like double rich choc (my best protein powder for taste) choc mint, dipped chocolate banana, extreme milk chocolate, and choc malt.
Size: ON Gold has 4 sizes to choose from. This one is 2lbs (909g). 29 servings per container, each serving is approx. 30.4g.
Protein/Nutrient Profile: 24g protein which is equivalent to 48% DV, 5.5g BCAA’s, 4g glutamine. Trace amounts of calcium (8% DV) and iron (2% DV).
Taste and Mixability: Instantized for easy mixing. Tastes great with dairy milk or nut milk as well as with water. It has a very thick creamy texture.
Thanks to the added lecithin it mixes into a lovely smooth texture. Very double thick chocolate milkshake!
- Contains allergens: Soy and milk but they also do a good tasting, easy to mix, plant-based version.
- Contains acesulfame potassium which is an artificial sweetener
- Only use as a food supplement, not as a weight loss supplement.
- Not suitable for people with lactose intolerance.
Mary Ruth’s Organic, Plant-Based Protein: Best Tasting Vegan Protein Powder
Our Rating: 4.2/5
User Rating: 4/5
Highlights of Mary Ruth’s Organic Vegan Protein Powder
- Free from wheat, corn, additives, fillers, soy, gluten, dairy, AND nut.
- Non-GMO, USDA Organic, QAI approved, GMP certified, Fair Trade
- Made in small batches
- Paleo and Celiac friendly
- Eco-friendly packaging, BPA free
- Good for baking with
And this one is especially for the vegans out there, who want taste as well as Fair Trade products. Mary Ruth’s checks all the boxes.
While we know and understand that whey is the superior protein to use in shakes, it comes from our cow friends so whey is totally out for vegans. But they don’t have to miss out on the benefits that protein powders have to offer.
I haven’t tried this one yet but I want to. The pumpkin seeds get sprouted and then milled into flour to extract the protein.
The product information does tell you it will be gritty but the flavor is pure chocolate. But this protein powder really excites me because it is so ethically sound and clean. For anyone eating clean, this is the powder.
What’s in it?
100% organic pumpkin seed protein powder,Organic cane sugar, Organic Fair Trade Cocoa, natural chocolate flavor, Organic natural vanilla flavor, Xanthum gum
Flavors: New packaging means the chocolate flavor is now called Creamy Choc Fudge.
Size: 14.8 oz (420g),15 servings per container. 1 scoop is 28g.
Protein: 14g per serving
Taste and Mixability: The xanthum gum allows easy mixing. The taste is a strong chocolate taste, there is no pumpkin seed taste. It will be a bit gritty but considering it is such a pure vegan product, this should not count against it.
- Only has 14g protein per serving so you’d have to double up to get a full protein serving from one shake.
- Only comes in 14.8 oz quantities, so if you like this product it will pay to order 3 or 4 at a time, to save on shipping.
Quest Nutrition Protein Powder – Best for Baking
These guys, Quest Nutrition, are all about protein crisps, protein bars and, of course, protein powders. So it goes without saying that they are experts in the making of great tasting protein snacks and supplements.
What’s in it?
- Whey protein isolate
- Micellar caseinate – this is a slow digesting form of casein and as such gives the amino acids a proper chance to be optimally absorbed, making it the most effective form of casein.
- Cellulose gum – improves texture and acts as a thickener, both of which add to great taste and mixability of this top tasting protein powder.
- Steviol glycosides – a natural sweetener from the stevia leaf
- Xanthum gum, Sucralose, Natural flavors, Milk protein isolate, Cocoa (Dutch-pressed), Less than 2% salt, Sunflower lecithin
Flavors: Comes in 10 innovative flavors. Try the Banana Cream or Salted Caramel.
Size: Comes in 2lb tubs or single serving sachets of 1.2oz (34g). There are 29 servings per container.
Protein: The sachets yield 26g of protein per serving and the 31g scoops from the tub give you 23g. 23G protein is equivalent to 46% of your protein DV.
It’s high in phosphorus at 20% DV per serving and contains 4% DV of iron.
Taste and Mixability: Thanks to Quest’s unique protein blend these protein powders mix readily with water or milk and have a lovely creamy texture and rich, sweet taste.
I prefer mixing this brand with my hand blender. I get a frothy, extra creamy shake.
- Not for lactose intolerant people.
- They don’t use organic whey.
- They don’t say anything about being non-GMO
FitMiss Delight Protein Powder: best tasting protein powders for women
Our Rating: 4/5
User Rating: 4/5
Highlights of FitMiss Delight Chocolate Protein Powder
- Contains a trademarked veg-based protein called Solathin which curbs appetite and aids with weight loss programs.
- Has a blend of vegetables and fruit powders to deliver optimal levels of digestive enzymes, vitamins, and minerals.
- High protein, low calorie, low carb, gluten free
This one is for the Ladies! But don’t worry you boys can take it too. What makes it unique is that it is a great tasting protein shake with added digestive enzymes, to boost gut health and support digestion.
It seems we ladies do have more sensitive digestive systems, or perhaps we are “biologically engineered” to pick berries and men to hunt mammoths, so we handle stress differently.
Regardless of what the real reason is, this great tasting shake still pack a full-on protein punch. And it does support weight loss management whereas some of the other powders featured here focus more on building and repairing muscle.
This powder is geared towards athletes of both sexes hat enjoy exercises like spinning, yoga, martial arts and cardio workouts.
What’s in it?
- 20g of the 23.4g per serving is pure whey protein concentrate. Note not isolate therefore will contain dairy.
- Contains 150mg of Solathin potato protein extract to curb appetite
- Contains 500mg greens/superfood blend. Click here for full list of this superfood blend and once on page click pic of supplement facts thumbnail.
- Contains 30mg protease and 30mg lactase digestive enzymes
- Cocoa powder, Natural and artificial flavors, Inulin, Cellulose Gum, Salt, Sucralose, Acesulfame potassium, Soy lecithin
Flavors: 3 Scrumptious tastes; Choc Delight, Cappuccino and Vanilla Chai
Size: Comes in 2lb tubs, each tub will give you 38 servings with each serving being roughly23.4g
Protein/Nutrient Profile: 16g of protein per serving, 1g fiber (4%DV), Vitamin B12 (over 2000% DV), Calcium (3%DV), Magnesium (5%DV), Sodium (3%), Potassium (4%).
Taste and Mixability: Thanks to the various thickeners and the lecithin, it mixes exceptionally well. The taste has flavor without a funny aftertaste, and the consistency is smooth.
It is not as thick and creamy as some brands if you add less liquid, or extra scoops, you get a thicker, richer shake.
- Contains soy, milk, and eggs, so it’s not suitable for vegans.
Dymatize ISO 100 Whey Protein powder: New Improved Taste Best for Pre and Post Workouts
Our Rating: 3.7/5
User Rating: 4.3/5
Highlights of Dymatize ISO 100 Whey Protein
- Zero carbs, zero fat with lactose and fat removed, thanks to the hydrolyzed whey, making it perfect for bodybuilding.
- Suitable for lactose intolerant people.
- Gluten free
- Made in the USA
- Perfect for pre and post workouts
- 100% hydrolyzed whey protein isolate
Dymatize focuses on optimizing nutrition for athletes. So while their formula may not be as natural as some and the ingredients might be a mixed bag of artificial and natural flavors which they don’t specify, they have perfected their taste.
As a result, Dymatize is one of the best tasting protein powders available.
Designed for intense pre and post workout results, the whey gets hydrolyzed. This means there is no milk or fat left in the way, and you will get cut real fast if using pre-tournament.
What’s in it?
Hydrolyzed whey protein isolate, Natural and artificial flavors, Salt, Sucralose, Stevia extract
Flavors: Dynamize has over 16 flavors to choose from. Some of their more unique flavors include Pino Colado and Fudge Brownie. The new taste formula has done their protein shakes justice.
Size: The 1.6lb packages will give you 25 servings, with each scoop being 29.2g.
Protein/Nutrient Profile: 25g per serving equals 50% DV. Full amino acid profile as well as 15% DV calcium and 15% DV potassium requirements.
Taste and Mixability: As I said the Gourmet Vanilla and Gourmet Chocolate hit all the right spots. I haven’t tried other flavors but this mix easily but taste better with milk although a few people I know like how it tastes with water.
I don’t. But Dynamize tastes great with coffee, and you don’t need extra sweetener or milk.
- Contains allergens: soy lecithin and milk; so while some lactose intolerant people can take it others may not be able to
- Some flavors may not to everyone’s taste due to the artificial flavorings of certain flavors. The gourmet Choc and gourmet Vanilla absolutely rock though.
PURE Whey Protein Powder from SFH – Best All Rounder and for Immune Support
Our Rating: 4.5/5
User Rating: 4.6/5
Highlights of SFH PURE Whey Protein Powder
- 100% denatured whey from NZ and Australian free-range cows
- No artificial flavors
- Soy-free, hormone free and certified gluten free-range (patent pending)
- A highly bioavailable form of protein
- Good for baking with because it’s denatured which means the integrity of the protein will not be compromised by heat.
- Contains Omega-3’s which have antioxidant benefits.
Established in 2010, SFH stands for Stronger, Faster, Healthier. This tasty protein powder has an impressive list of strong points.
All the flavorings are natural. And they contain glutathione precursors, essential for cell metabolism and immunoglobulins, which aid the immune system and support gut health.
SFH is an all round protein powder shake for sports, weight loss, immune support and bone health.
What’s in it?
- 100% whey protein concentrate
- Cassia flavor extract
- Sunflower lecithin, for good mixability
- Stevia leaf extract – natural sugar-free sweeteners
Flavors: Comes in 6 delicious flavors; Candy Cane, Choc, Natural, Tropical, Vanilla and the cinnamon taste of new Churro flavor.
Size: 2lb bags or boxes of 10 single servings. There is 32 servings per 2lb (900g) bag.
Protein/Nutrient Profile: 22g protein, 6g BCAA’s, high in free calcium and Omega-3s.
Taste and Mixability: All their flavors taste naturally sweet, and they mix into a smooth consistency. They don’t blend as well as some brands do with water but using a hand, Whizzer works excellent or mixes with water first, into a paste then add water or milk. Nice pure powder, pleasant taste.
- Not for lactose intolerant individuals.
Vega Sport Protein Powder, Vanilla – Best for Iron and With Added Probiotics (Vegan)
Our Rating: 3.5/5
User Rating: 4/5
Highlights of Vega Sport Protein Powder
- Great vegan post workout protein shake
- Unique protein blend and the new formula
- Vegan Action approved
- Gluten, dairy and soy free
- Non-GMO verified
- No banned substances
- No artificial flavors, additives, fillers or binders
- Containers are made from 100% recycled plastic.
Formulated by Brendan Brazier, vegan and professional sportsman (Ironman), this shake gets a thumbs up because of what is in it. It is a plant-based protein shake, probiotics are added and the blend of proteins that get used to delivering a substantial 30g of protein.
What’s in it?
Pea protein,Pumpkin seed protein powder, Organic sunflower seed protein, Alfalfa protein, Tart Cherry, Probiotics (Bacillus coagulans), Bromelain, Turmeric extract, Black pepper extract,Less than 2% sea salt, natural caramel flavor, natural vanilla flavor, stevia extract and xanthum gum
Flavors: 4 flavors to choose from; mocha, berry, chocolate, and vanilla.
Size: Comes in 4 sizes. This product is 29.2oz (828g) and gives 20 servings. XL tubs of 4.14lbs contain 45 servings. They sell single servings or a box of 12 servings.
Protein/Nutrient Profile: One full 30g scoop provides; 30g protein (56%DV), 2g fiber (8%DV), calcium 15%DV, iron 20%DV, 6g BCAA’s and 1 billion CFU’s probiotics per serving
Taste and Mixability: Vega Sport Protein Powder has a really smooth consistency especially when blended. Add it to smoothies for a full protein serving.
Mixes well with water and nondairy milk. Tastes delicious although people who don’t use stevia may need to acquire the aftertaste.
If you find it too thick just increase the liquid or have two smaller servings over the course of the day.
Some people reported a “chalky” taste saying it was too thick. Solution: Add more liquid…. Being a vegan product with a high protein content per serving means the serving size is a bit bigger than usual.
It still tastes great. Or add it to coffee. They do give a nutrient profile on label that suggests either a half scoop or a full.
Summing It All Up
If you are wondering if you need to be taking in extra protein, ask yourself:
• Do you feel your diet contains enough wholefoods?
• Do you feel a bit tired and run down?
• Do you train quite hard and want to increase lean muscle mass?
• Are you bodybuilding and looking for a great tasting protein powder to take pre or post workout?
If you answered yes, add protein powder to your fruit smoothies, your buckwheat or oats or even to muffins, if you bake. Or mix it up fast with water or milk for an on the go protein boost.
Perhaps you have passed by the protein shakes in the supermarket because you don’t do gym and the marketing is so obviously geared to that niche market that you pass it by.
Perhaps previous protein shakes have been so gritty and foul tasting you ask why would anyone subject themselves to such a regime unless you are a bodybuilding zealot…
So what is so great about these protein powders?
Do they taste good?
Do they mix well?
Can you bake with them?
Yes, but use the most natural protein powders, with minimal ingredients.
Can I take more than one serving a day?
Absolutely! With most people having compromised gut health, you can be sure our bodies don’t absorb nutrients to their optimum.
Can I take it as a meal replacement?
Tricky, yes depending on the specific product. But for most protein powders, they get designed as protein supplements and don’t contain a full enough nutrient profile to act as healthily balanced meal replacements.
Please feel free to leave comments, suggestions and high fives!
I’m Sophia, the voice behind Daily Detox Hacks. I’m a wife, a real mom. Dealing with real health issues, whole food lover, researcher. Her mission with Dailydetoxhacks.com is to bring you latest trends in Healthy, Non-Toxic Living, dieting tips, nutrition facts, beauty and cleaning tutorials, natural remedies and more!